Lipodisq® is a biodegradable delivery system specifically designed to deliver oily or lipophilic active agents including fat soluble vitamins and botanical extracts into the outer layer of the skin – the stratum corneum.
The properties and benefits of the use of Lipodisq® can be summarised as follows:
- Biomimetic by design: The structure of Lipodisq® is based upon natural high density lipoproteins (HDL) responsible for transporting fats around the body (good cholesterol). Lipodisq® are biodegradable and enzymatically break down in the skin. This means that they are not classified as nano according to the 2013 Cosmetics Regulation.
- Exceptionally small size: Lipodisq® are able to penetrate the aqueous pores that surround the fatty of lamellar layers of the stratum corneum and degrade slowly to release their contents into the deeper layers of the skin. The outer layer of the skin therefore acts as a reservoir for the active substance ensuring a more even release profile.
- High water solubility: Lipodisq® is highly water soluble despite being composed of phospholipids and water insoluble actives. The unique solubility characteristics of Lipodisq® enable oily actives to be easily added to existing manufacturing processes.
- Optical clarity: The small particle size ensures that light waves pass through Lipodisq® aqueous solutions and appear water clear.
- High load capacity: Lipodisq® can typically carry up to 25% active by dry weight. A wide range of actives can be incorporated such as fat soluble vitamins A, C and E and most of the commonly used omega-3 oils.
Grades currently available: